Some useful windows Commands
Following are some useful commands that you can execute through the Run prompt on your windows machine.
- Open Control Panel : control
- Open Add Remove programs panel from control panel : appwiz.cpl
- Open Power option properties : powercfg.cpl
- Open system configuration utility: msconfig
- Open Computer Management console : compmgmt.msc
- Open Local Security Settings console: secpol.msc
- Open Group Policy editor: gpedit.msc
- Open Windows Firewall Settings dialog: firewall.cpl
- Open Registry editor: regedit or regedit32.exe
- Open System Properties dialog: sysdm.cpl (Keyboard Shortcut: Start(windows) + Pause Break) you can also the command "Control.exe system"
- Open About Windows dialog box/ To view windows version: winver
- Open Network Connections window : ncpa.cpl
- Open Windows Task Manager : taskmgr.exe (Keyboard Shortcut: Ctrl + Shift + Esc)
- For Eject Drive or Safely Remove Hardware : RunDll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL hotplug.dll
- To Open Sound and Audio Device properties dialog: mmsys.cp
- Open Service Manager: services.msc (You can connect to local or remote service manager and view\change services properties.)
- Open Active Directory Users and Computer Console: dsa.msc (Note: You should have administrative tools installed and you should able to connect domain controller)
- Open Microsoft Management Console: mmc (Note:You can add different snap-ins in MMC console)
- Open Active Directory Domain and Trust management console: domain.msc (Note: You should have administrative tools installed and you should able to connect domain controller)
- Open internet explorer: iexplore, chrome (for chrome), firefox ( for Firefox).
- To view internet options : inetcpl.cpl
Feel free to share commands that you know or if these does not work on particular operating system, I have tried these on Windows XP.